Thursday, October 23, 2008

Oops! When good things go bad. REALLY bad!


Sigh... It's sort of a buzz kill when you spend hours and hours making soap, and they just turn out UGLY. And my soap ugliness is quite extreme. I have no idea what happened to this one. It's supposed to be a really gorgeous bar of Bay Rum soap, but instead, it's some strange mutant version of Bay Rum soap. Fortunately for my customers I sell them at a deep discount. People LOVE to buy mistakes! But still... I hate messing up my soaps!

My shameful Bay Rum soap. What the heck did I do???



Here is my other gem of a soap. My Rosewater "Oops" soap. Let me tell you what went wrong. First and foremost, floral scents are a MAJOR pain in the a$$. The minute the fragrance is added to the raw soap batter, the batter seizes up and is like concrete in no time. Very naughty. So, I jammed the raw soap into the mold using every ounce of muscle in my body, smashing it into submission as best I could. Then I attempted to "sprinkle" rose petals onto the soap (which is completely concrete now), then I added and already finish slab of white soap to top it off. I covered it up and hoped for the best. Well, best is not what I got. The white top fell off most slices, and it has the look of a hot process soap, even though it's a cold process soap. I think I was in the worst mood of my life this day. Seriously.

2 comments:

Christine said...

If it makes you feel any better, I still think your 'oopsies' are beautiful. :)

Handmade Soap Reviews said...

I'll second what Jadewicks says, although of course oopsies are good from my point of view since I get bargains that way :D